[Emerson] Emerson School News
Emerson School News
emersonschoolnews at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 21:45:57 PDT 2012
*In This Issue: *
- Upcoming Events and Important Dates
- Parents' Night Out Raised $37,000 for Emerson
- Free Emerson T-shirts
- Willard Coffee Chat for Incoming Parents / Guardians
- BUSD Budget Forum: Learn about Proposed Cuts
- Take the State Budget Challenge
*Upcoming Events and Important Dates*
- Friday, March 23 (and every Friday): Friday Coffee and Make a
Difference Workbench, 7:45 - 8:10 a.m.
- Friday, March 23: Willard Parents Coffee Chat, Willard Middle School,
8 - 9:30 a.m.
- Thursday, March 29: BUSD Budget Forum (see below for details)
- Friday, March 30: All-School Meeting and Cesar Chavez Celebration
- Monday, April 2 - Friday, April 6: Spring Break // NO SCHOOL
- Wednesday, April 11: PTA Meeting, 6 p.m.
*Parents' Night Out Raised $37,000 for Emerson!
*Thanks to everybody who worked so hard to make the event a success, and
thanks to everybody who came and enjoyed the evening. Our community has
certainly taken a big step toward cushioning our school against the
inevitable budget cuts that are coming (see below). And our kids will be
glad for it!
If you have any questions or concerns about the auction, please call Heidi
at 540-8449, or e-mail her at heidipie at juno.com.
*Free Emerson T-Shirts This Friday
*We'll be giving out this year's walk-a-thon t-shirts for FREE this Friday
morning on the playground. Stop by and pick up one (or more)! Leftovers
will be donated by the students to local charities.
*Willard Coffee Chat -- Friday, March 23, 8-9:30 a.m. *
Parents and guardians of incoming Willard students, please join current
Willard Parents in the Willard Parent Resource Room (access through the
front office) for a casual get together with some coffee, tea, and snacks.
Meet some new parents and learn more about Willard. Coffee Chats are held
from time to time to give parents a chance to meet each other and build
community at Willard. If you have questions or would like more
information, please contact Michele Mancuso, m2mancuso at gmail.com or
510-301-9693. Hope to see you there!
*BUSD Budget Forum Next Thursday*
BUSD Superintendent Bill Huyett and Deputy Superintendent Javetta Cleveland
will conduct a budget forum for anyone who wants to understand the school
budget process and learn about the projected shortfall of $3 million to
$4.8 million dollars in the coming fiscal year. We encourage anyone
interested in school budget issues to attend the forum on Thursday, March
29, from 5:30 – 7 p.m., at the BUSD Central Office (Council Chambers)
at 2134 Martin Luther King Jr. Way.
For more information call 510-644-6320 or email markcoplan at berkeley.net.
*Take the State Budget Challenge!
*Curious about the state budget and school financing? Eager to know what's
in store for next school year in terms of state funding? Wondering how the
state got into this fiscal mess in the first place? Come tell
Assemblymember Nancy Skinner how YOU would balance the state budget.
- When: Saturday, March 24th, 1:00 - 3:00 pm
- Where: Oakland Emerson Elementary School, 4803 Lawton Avenue
- Who: Sponsored by Oakland Unified School District, Oakland School
Board President Jody London and Assemblymember Nancy Skinner
- What: Short presentation on the state budget and interactive forum
letting YOU vote on how you would balance the state budget
For more information, call 510-286-1400 or visit
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Emerson